Thursday, September 8

Day Five

I thought that the west side of the mountains was supposed to be cloudy all the time... I've been so fortunate this entire time with weather - I haven't seen a single cloud this entire trip! In the morning I biked to the Bellingham neighborhood of Fairhaven and met up with Kyle's dad and uncle before heading down one of the most scenic roads in the nation. Chuckanut Drive definitely lived up to its reputation! We then had lunch in the small town called Edison at a roadside cafe that for some reason had a lot of '80s rock ballads playing on the radio. At that point in the trip Kyle's dad and uncle as well as my uncle Lothar departed from Kyle and I. For the next portion of the ride I followed a series of backroads to Bayview State Park and then reconnected with SR 20 just outside Fidalgo Island. I eventually reached Whidbey Island through the Deception Pass Bridge and made my through Oak Harbor, Coupeville, and onto Fort Casey where a ferry to Port Townsend was waiting. My dad is joining us tonight and will take over sagwagon duties - a big thank you to Kyle Unruh for all your help during this adventure!

Along one of the many scenic outlooks on Chuckanut Drive

An awesome view of Chuckanut Bay

I was hoping to see some oysters - I get hungry while riding

Cruising along the salt flats near Bayview - the North Cascades are in the background

Hungry again for oysters... at Deception Pass

Arriving at Port Townsend!


No comments:

Post a Comment