Wednesday, September 7

Day Four

I decided to extend this particular day by 40 miles as I wanted to stay in Bellingham rather than Lynden. I left Rockport at a little before 7:00 am and headed west toward Sedro-Woolley through the same valley that follows the Skagit River. We then headed north toward Mt. Baker on Highway Nine until we stopped for lunch in the bordertown of Sumas. That portion of the went through some beautiful farmland not unlike some areas of south-central Germany. The burger joint we stopped by in Sumas apparently didn't my order too seriously as they only gave me one when I ordered three chicken burgers! The next part of the ride headed due west through agricultural areas that reminded me of the farmlands of Ohio and Indiana. Eventually the road opened up to reveal the beautiful coastline by Birch Bay! The open water was a welcome site as a new type of landscape encountered during the ride. In Bellingham we are fortunate enough to stay with the mom of another CWU alumni - thank you!

Starting out in the morning - chilly!

The real secret to cycling success

Cruising north near Mt. Baker

At Birch Bay!

No comments:

Post a Comment