Tuesday, September 6

Day One

Sorry about the lack of updates over the past couple days - if anyone is interested in learning how to reduce the amount of time they spend on a computer, all you have to do is ride your bike all day!

Anyhow, I started what will be the most cycling I've ever done in a nine-day period two days at 6 am from downtown Ellensburg.  I had a warm receptive from some close family and friends and Kyle's dad accompanied me to Vantage. There was a Dave Matthew's Band concert that day but luckily most of the people going to that concert don't usually wake up by the time I got in the area! From I went through familiar territory - my father is a horticulturalist in the Quincy Valley - and I made my first stop in Soap Lake. I soaked in the lake for a bit and stopped at a roadside burger joint for lunch though we would have much preferred to eat at Mom's - a small Ukrainian grocery and deli in downtown Soap Lake. The ride through the scenic Coulee Corridor was largely uneventful though I made sure to stay clear of the motorcyclists going 140 mph! My parents Norbert and Julie Owart joined us in Grand Coulee where we had a nice dinner before camping on the south side of Lake Roosevelt.

Downtown was deserted at 6 am Sunday morning except for us! From left to right, my father Norbert, Kyle Unruh, sister Hanna, Josh, and Rick and Angie Unruh were kind enough to see me on my journey!

Rick and I by the wind farm - Mt. Rainier can be seen in the distance.

My uncle Lothar and I at Dry Falls on the way to Grand Coulee.

No comments:

Post a Comment